[jbosscache-dev] Naming discussion

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Fri Aug 11 09:00:14 EDT 2006

On 11 Aug 2006, at 12:17, Ben Wang wrote:

> Guys (and Manik, secifically),
>
> I have been in the process of updating the PojoCache documentation
> for 2.0 release. One thing that came up that I'd like to solicit
> some inputs. As we all agreed that PojoCache will still be housed
> under JBoss Cache (alhtough may have two separate distributions).
> That is, JBoss Cache will have two cache libararies per se. Now we
> know one component is PojoCache. How do we call the other component
> (with Cache implementation)? We used to call it TreeCache that is
> more distinguished than simply Cache, IMO.

I agree that Cache vs. PojoCache is less distinct than TreeCache vs.
PojoCache, but at the end of the day we're trying to define a product
that does a single task of caching data.  As you said, PojoCache
builds on top of this to add Pojo/AOP based features, so one may
argue that Cache vs. PojoCache, while being less distinct, is in fact
more correct.