[jbosscache-dev] Branch and tag maintenance

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Fri Aug 24 07:59:23 EDT 2007

On 24 Aug 2007, at 04:21, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> Sorry; couldn't connect to mail server the other day and forgot to
> resend. Couple comments:
>
> 1) Release qualifiers are dot appended, so using "2.1.0-GA" instead
> of "2.1.0.GA" is confusing.

This seems to be a maven convention.  Maven detects -SNAPSHOT and
treats it differently from -GA, -BETA, etc. (different snapshot repo,
etc)

> 2) Not sure why you'd include the release qualifier in the branch
> name, unless the intent was to stop work on that branch when the
> named qualifier was reached. E.g. when 2.1.0.Alpha1 is tagged, will
> work on branch 2.1.0.Alpha1 stop, with work then beginning on
> 2.1.0.Alpha2? (I hope not, as that means doing a new checkout or
> jumping through other hoops.)

The purpose is that some branches are made off a specific SP.  E.g.,
https://svn.jboss.org/repos/jbosscache/core/branches/1.2.4-SP2

Perhaps this should be the anomaly and the norm being to drop the
release qualifier?  I thought this was a bit confusing too, releasing
1.4.1-SP5 off branches/1.4.0-GA.

- Manik