[rules-users] Adding a custom operator to drools?

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Fri Sep 12 08:21:03 EDT 2008

   Michael,

   Drools 5 is not production ready yet, specially because we are still
working in the new major features like CEP and processes, but the 4.x
equivalent features all work. We still eventually break tests in trunk while
working on the new stuff, but you can most of the time simply ignore the
broken tests. Also, if your research project is not expected to be final in
the next month or so, by the time you finish your project we will have
Drools 5 final out.

   BTW, can you talk about about the subject of your research?

   Edson

2008/9/12 Michael Zimmermann <list at incunabulum.de>

> Hi Edson,
>
> thanks for the quick reply...
>
> Edson Tirelli wrote:
> > It depends if you are talking about Drools 4 or 5. You are right
> > about Drools 4. Drools 5 has "quasi-pluggable" operators... hehehe :)
>
> Sorry, didn't mention it. I was talking about the 4.0.x series. This
> leads to the following.
>
> > For more info, look at the EvaluatorDefinition interface in Drools 5
> > and its several implementations for examples.
>
> Well, how stable and usable (eclipse integration?) is drools 5? (I am
> using the drools rule engine mostly; not the BRMS)
>
> While I may not need top notch stability and can cope with some changes
> to the codebase over time ( research project ), Drools only is one part
> of a pretty complicated application. So far, this was the major reason
> for not having a closer look in the new version.
>
> > BTW,  most important thing that I forgot to mention: we obviously are
> >  interested in feedback and contributions on the feature, from simple
> >  ideas and suggestions to actual patches and improvements!
>
> Well, we agree here. The previous two posts were ment to start some
> discussion. Now - as I need this feature rather sooner than later - I am
> looking into the implementation. JIRA ticket with more will follow if I
> am sucessfull.
>
> cu, Michael

Edson Tirelli
JBoss Drools Core Development