[rules-users] Building our own UI for Drools

Jervis Liu jliu at redhat.com
Wed Nov 16 02:25:49 EST 2011

kapokfly wrote:
> Thanks Mike, I will take a look of the Drools Expert fluent API.
>
> We can't benefit from the Gunvor's rest API as there are some key issues we
> are trying to resolve with our own UI:

Based on your requirements, you may have two options. One is building
your own application to write, manage and store rules. Essentially you
are building a Guvnor like application with your own implementation. A
second option is to reuse Guvnor (or at least the Guvnor server), this
way you do not need to build your own implementation of life cycle
management, version control, authentication/role-based -authorization,
search, meta data management, Qos policy enforcement etc.
> 1) unified user interface.

In Guvnor, the client UI and the backend server can be separated. The
client communicates with the Guvnor server using either GWT-RPC or REST
API. This makes it possible to build your own UI while you still utilize
the Guvnor backend server.
> 2) work with our meta data and current engineering model seamlessly,
> especially we want their patch lifecycle same as the rules.

At the moment, we have a major refactoring going on in Guvnor, project
name Guvnor NG (Next Generation):
http://community.jboss.org/thread/173484. The goal of Guvnor NG is to
make Guvnor become a generic service repository and governance tool with
the ability to apply extensions and plugins for specific domains. For
example, Guvnor NG for Drools will be the generic service repository +
rules specific plugins. In your case, you can store both your metadata
and your engineering model in Guvnor repository. As far as the generic
service repository is concerned, it does not matter what is stored in
its repository. The service repository manages whatever is stored in its
repository and provide life cycle management, version control,
authentication/role-based-authorization, search, meta data
management,Qos policy enforcement services etc on top of it.

The asset meta data in Guvnor are all pre-defined. But we have a story
planned to support customized meta data:
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/GUVNOR-1170
> 3) we have our own in application version control and would like the rule
> object follows the same
> 4) we don't want to host another dedicate application outside our core
> application, especially we are using jboss 4.x which I also did not find a
> supported Gunvor war file.

jboss 4.x is way too old. Jboss as 7.1 is much more superior. Though I
do understand there are cases upgrade is not an option.
> 5) The guvnor's approach works with single company but does not work with a
> SAAS environment where end user is able to customize each object and writing
> rules against their own properties.

There are two ways to run Guvnor in a SAAS environment. One is running
an instance of Guvnor for each user, one is somehow sharing one instance
of Guvnor among many users or VMs. The former way is the most
straightforward way to use Guvnor though it may not be the most
efficient way to use resources. One of the fundamental requirement to
use a shared instance of Guvnor for different users is to give each user
an isolated environment so that each use only see their own rules. One
technology that potentially can be helpful here is JCR workspace. I.e,
each user logs in with their own workspaces assigned, this way their
assets are isolated from other users' assets.

Anyway, this is a very interesting topic, let us know if there is
anything you need from Guvnor. Of course, any contributions to help
Guvnor improve itself are always welcome.