[seam-dev] BI integration

Snjezana Peco snjezana.peco at redhat.com
Fri Oct 17 05:40:52 EDT 2008

BIRT has a better report designer  and more functionalities than iReport
and Pentaho.
Different drivers are included in Birt Designer (JDBC, XML, Web
services, Flat file datasource, Scripted Data Source , our Hibernate
datasource ...). It is easy to add new drivers.
As to the output formats, BIRT already contains pdf, html, xls, doc,
ppt, csv ... as well as its own engine to add new formats.
iReport (JasperReports) and Pentaho (JFreeChart) also have different
drivers and output formats, but adding new formats/drivers is more
complicated (there is no any engine for adding new formats/drivers to
the UI).
The BIRT developers can add template reports and template
datasources/datasets so that users can create their own reports using
those templates. There are also pre-defined BIRT report templates.
iReport has this functionality, but iReport is a Swing application.
The integration with Eclipse is better - BIRT is an Eclipse application
(an RCP application or a set of Eclipse plugins).
It is better documented than iReport and Pentaho.
JasperReport doesn't have an open source Eclipse designer. There is
JasperAssistant, but it is a commercial product  (
http://www.jasperassistant.com ).
Pentaho Report Designer is a Swing application similar to iReport. The
integration with Eclipse is poor.

 What we can do to improve deployment and setup is to add JBoss BIRT
deployer (a JBoss server component).  In that case, we would need to
deploy only report files and, maybe, some configuration files.

Snjeza