[seam-dev] Seam 2.1 branch

Shane Bryzak shane.bryzak at jboss.com
Tue Apr 21 02:05:10 EDT 2009

Dan Allen wrote:

>     Should we qualify the term modules? Meaning instead of modules and
>     sandbox we have something like
>
>     modules
>     sandbox-modules
>     thirdparty-modules
>
>     Modules (I'm open to a qualifier like official-modules) would be
>     official modules in Seam...stuff that is going into EAP. sandbox
>     would be modules we want to put into core, but they just aren't
>     ready yet or may never be. thirdparty would be modules we are
>     hosting for a community member but we don't want to maintain. For
>     instance, perhaps the host the tapastry integration module or
>     whatever. I'd be interested in doing that with examples too.
>
>     examples
>     sandbox-examples
>     thirdparty-examples
>
>     Thoughts? This should be easy to add without affecting what you
>     have setup already.
>

> Any thoughts on this yet?

I don't think it's necessary to split up the modules into
official/unofficial - the modules that are included in EAP are up to the
productization team, and IMHO something we shouldn't care about in the
community version.  Sandbox is exactly as you described it.  I also
don't see a need for differentiation between thirdparty and "in house"
modules - we already have lots of Seam features that are maintained by
community members.  If we make the judgment that something is
polished/stable enough to leave the sandbox, then it just becomes a
module like everything else.  We can easily give the community member
SVN commit access for their own module.