[teiid-dev] Exposing connector defined metadata to tooling.

Ramesh Reddy rareddy at redhat.com
Fri Apr 23 06:08:28 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 17:31 -0400, John Doyle wrote:
> We could create importers for the different text file representations
> for Text, Spreadsheets, Simple DB, etc.  Or, perhaps the connectors
> could expose the metadata that they provide to Teiid through a new API
> that a 'generic' connector metadata importer could consume?

Actually, we need both.  +1 for both.

We need a better support for for Text based data modeling. Teiid tooling
support for this is sub par compared to other text importing tools. We
should be able to point to a text file and try to guess the metadata and
build the model/schema based on data contents. This is a feature missing
in Teiid, which it should have had long time ago.

Based on the "Connector Metadata" feature, if we have a generic
Connector based importer, it would be useful to provide metadata
facilities for less complicated sources (or even as the first step).
However to drive a intelligent UI, we may need to put in little more
work. Also, note that this paradigm is a shift from current Designer
approach. Currently Designer, first builds the metadata and then
creates/attaches to the Connector. In this scenario, it would need to
create the Connector first, metadata next.

Ramesh..