[wildfly-dev] Change CLI to Default to Remoting

Darran Lofthouse darran.lofthouse at jboss.com
Wed Jul 10 06:28:33 EDT 2013

On 09/07/13 22:45, Stuart Douglas wrote:
> I don't think this is really practical, is once we remove the remoting
> port from the config it means that the CLI will not connect to new
> servers unless you explicitly specify the port.

That may be the case if we rely on ports to decide the protocol.

> This has its own
> backward compatibility problems, as now your scripts will break if you
> have upgraded you cluster to WF8.

I think the CLI configuration has become confused in this area, we have
a default host block which defined the host if no address is specified
to connect but this block is also used as a pick and mix to extract a
port from if no port is specified.

Personally I think general defaults and a default host are actually two
different things.

However this is all becoming back to front, elswhere it is standard
practice to specify the scheme in order to omit a default port - not
take a port and try and work out the scheme.

> Also it is possible to set the default protocol in jboss-cli.xml, if
> your scripts do break because of this change it is basically a one line fix.

Actually it isn't, if you specify any part of the address it has been
hard coded that the protocol is http-remoting.