[rules-users] Regarding BPEL

Mauricio Salatino salaboy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 06:43:53 EDT 2011

Definitely we are not in the same page :)
BPMN is also a semi-structured language to define business processes (BP
from BPEL and BPMN). The version 2 of the standard defines the language and
the execution semantic for defining Business Processes with a wider scope
than BPEL. Of course that BPEL and BPMN are not the same, but I think that
you can achieve most of the things that you want to achieve with BPEL with
BPMN (I'm not sure what are you trying to achieve, but we can discuss that
in another thread). In the case of BPMN, Drools is not the one responsible
for the process execution and jBPM5 is. Where jBPM5 is right now a former
module of the Drools Project. jBPM5 provides you a generic process engine
capable of understanding more than one process definition language, but
right now the project is focused on running BPMN models. In other words,
jBPM5 is capable of running BPEL process, but right now the parsers for the
BPEL models are not in place. Most of the BPMS vendors are adopting BPMN as
a defacto notation and I think that for that reason jBPM5 is only focused in
this language now.

Hope it helps..

Cheers

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Jamie <jshaw at llbean.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure your answer directly addresses the question.  BPMN and BPEL
> aren't the same thing - BPMN is an unstructured diagramming notation that
> an
> be directly executed from within Drools, where as BPEL is a semi-structured
> language.  While most BPMN flows can be translated to BPEL, not everything
> in BPMN can be represented in BPEL.  I don't believe that Drools can
> directly execute BPEL (but I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong
> about that)

 - CTO @ http://www.plugtree.com
 - Co-Founder @ http://www.jbug.com.ar

 - Salatino "Salaboy" Mauricio -