is holding back our
migration to Eclipse 3.5.
Snjezana added a patch that makes things compile - need someone to
verify that it actually also works ;)
Kris Verlaenen wrote:
One issue we have is that Drools cannot support more than one Eclipse
version using the same code base. We are dependent on some internal
eclipse java classes to get the rule debugging working (the Java
debugging was not really written to be extended / reused, at least not
when we implemented debugging and I guess the situation is still the
same), and those internal apis tend to change a little every release.
I just checked and a few methods were added again. This means we
would have to maintain two parallel branches, one for Eclipse 3.4 and
one for 3.5.
Based on the impression that they are targeting Eclipse 3.5 GA end of
June, I guess the following options are possible:
1. after Drools 5.0 GA (supporting Eclipse 3.4.x) this weekend we move
to Eclipse 3.5.x, all new features implemented for Drools 5.1+ Eclipse
IDE will be for Eclipse 3.5 only
2. after Drools 5.0 GA we keep working on this code base (supporting
Eclipse 3.4.x) and we branch the last week before Drools 5.1, so at
that point both Eclipse 3.4 and 3.5 are supported for Drools 5.1,
after that all new changes are for Eclipse 3.5 only
3. after Drools 5.0.GA create a new Eclipse 3.5 code base immediately,
next to the Eclipse 3.4 code base, and commit all changes to both,
until we decide the 3.4 branch no longer needs to be kept up-to-date
with the latest features
Obviously, option 3 requires a lot more work. I'd go for option 2 as
it has the advantage of being able to support both 3.4 and 3.5 for
5.1, but that means we won't be able to migrate to Eclipse 3.5 soon.
On the other hand, the changes required to get this working on Eclipse
3.5 are probably pretty minimal, maybe we can write some automatic
patch script that could automatically patch our Eclipse 3.4 code so it
supports 3.5, thus removing the need to maintain two separate
branches? And JBoss Tools trunk could use the patch script and
include the Eclipse 3.5 version, would that be possible?
Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> Let me rephrase this:
> I would like to get confirmation from the following that upgrading to
> Eclipse 3.5 is ok for you (these are the persons/teams not present at
> the tools meeting where we discussed this):
> Snjezana Peco - Portlets, project examples ?
> Kris V. - Drools ?
> Alexey K. - JSF, Seam etc. ?
> Anyone else with objections or concerns are of course also welcome to
> speak up!
> If I don't get a reply by mo-nday I assume everyone is ok with what
> were decided last week.
>> At EclipseCon/Tools meeting last week we discussed the necessity of
>> moving the 3.1/trunk work onto Eclipse 3.5 M builds as soon as
>> possible so
>> 1) Can get any fixes/changes into Eclipse that we need/want before
>> they API freeze (in a month or so)
>> 2) Develop on a platform that will actually be supported by Eclipse
>> (Eclipse 3.4 won't get more fixes in)
>> Could you please let me know if you have any problems/issues with
>> this happening ?
>> i.e. JBoss Tools 3.0.x will still require Eclipse 3.4, it is just
>> for trunk/upcoming major releases we will be moving.
>> jbosstools-dev mailing list