This email is to let users and the community know that we are considering
removing development mode, known as Weld Probe, from the next version of
Tracking issue for this can be seen here but I will provide a short
overview for this decision below. We value feedback so please don't
hesitate to reach back via this email, JIRA issue or via Gitter.
First of all, the reason why we want to remove it is because the tool has
been left unmaintained for an extended period of time. Namely the UI part
is fairly outdated; especially the libraries it uses. We lack the time
and/or manpower to completely rewrite and maintain the client part of Probe
(the single page html UI) which is why we opted for removal rather than
shipping outdated code.
There are two ways we can go about this:
1. Complete removal of Probe with all of its parts
- this means there will be no development mode and it removes all Probe
- removes (or deprecates) any configuration options linked to it
2. Removal of just the client side code (the UI) and keeping Probe
internals which expose all the information via JSON
- this would only remove UI parts of Probe; you'd no longer get any means
to inspect the deployment except JSON data
- however, this allows for custom community client to be written and to
consume this data
As we lack any data on whether Probe is being currently used and whether
the community would appreciate keeping the JSON data, we are at the moment
leaning towards removing Probe altogether.
That being said, if there is interest from the community, we'd be more than
happy to keep the JSON parts of Probe in place so don't hesitate to reach
out and tell us. Last but not least, even if Probe gets removed now, we can
reintroduce it at a later point in time.